By Michelle Leidy-Franklin, TSnews
CLEARWATER – Housing additions are expanding in Clearwater as the city pushes forward with plans for the future.
During the city council meeting on Tuesday, Sept. 12, the council discussed the platting for the new McMillen Apartments. Platting for the remaining portion of Glen Park Estates also was discussed.
Resolution 16-2022 was approved by the council as well, allowing for the sale of notes for the Indian Ridge housing addition. The resolution authorizes the offering of general obligation temporary notes that will not exceed $1,060,000. This will provide for improvements in the area that will be passed to future residents through special assessments. These improvements include streets, water, sewer and drainage.
In other business:
• Ian McGuire was hired by the Clearwater Police Department as a full-time police officer. He will begin academy training in October. The police department is now fully staffed.
• Sergeant Lee Harp’s retirement party will be held 2-4 p.m., Thursday, Sept. 29.
• The city Halloween festivities will be held on Monday, Oct. 31. City administrator Courtney Zollinger has received questions about the date because there will be school the following day. Historically the city has held planned activities on the actual date of the holiday and decided to stay consistent.
• Two public works employees received new certifications. One was received in wastewater and another received a water one certification.
• Local company H.D. Mills and Sons donated four sets of salvaged bleachers to the city. Zollinger said the bleachers were in good condition with nothing wrong with them. The bleachers were moved to the sports complex.
• Mayor Burt Ussery said the city is exploring the possibility of redistricting the three local cemeteries. More research is needed into costs and resources.
• Ussery said the city would be reviewing the city plan to earmark items for action. A brief discussion on obtaining grants for future projects was held. Zollinger confirmed she is already researching and applying for available grants.