By Paul Rhodes, TSnews
CHENEY – The Cheney Chamber of Commerce hosted new teachers in the School District at their monthly meeting last week, and also made plans for an ice cream social for all teachers this week.
The new teachers were introduced by the principals at each school. At the elementary school, new teachers are Brittany Reeder, Sierra Dougherty, Kamryn Stark, Glenda Rust, Corrine Haukap, and also returning teacher Paula Sears.
At the middle school, they are Peyton Blass and Payton Scheer. And at the high school, new teachers are Brittany Schmidt, Samantha Dungan, and Cale Kerschen. The Chamber ice cream social was held at each building on Monday afternoon.
In other business at their meeting last week, chamber members:
• Heard reports from local churches. The local Methodist Church started doing the dirt work for its new addition. Pastor Travis at Trinity United Christian Church served his last day on Sunday, and Pat Nixon is stepping in as interim until a new pastor is found. The local event Praise in the Park had a large and great turnout.
• Heard updates from the city. The Back 9 housing addition expansion has started. All Cheney residents will receive a letter in the mail about the upcoming city budget. A city pool update was given, and with current inflation pricing, the committee is hopeful for completion in two years. The city could possibly receive two grants for additions/projects in the South Main Sports Complex. Annual Neighborhood Block Parties are Aug. 20, followed by an outdoor family movie at the open air stage at the fairgrounds. The movie will start at 8:40 p.m. and there will be a free will donation.
• The Chili/ Soup Cookoff is scheduled for Oct. 20, $5 per ticket, free for 11 and under.
• The last day for the pool to be open is Aug. 28, and that evening is the annual dog swim.
• Jason McAndrews will replace Brad Crow on the Chamber Board.
• Cardinal Club is hosting a steak feed on Oct. 1. They have asked that the Chamber purchase two tickets and the proceeds from that will be donated to the Cheney Emergency Fund. A motion to make the purchase was approved.
• PALS Fall Fest is set for Sept. 24 and the group is looking for donations/ volunteers.
• Discussed purchasing Cheney-themed flags to place outside of businesses on Fridays during the school year in support of the District and sports. More information to come.
• Fall Main Street decorating was discussed. Last year this was something that the Cheney FFA students did in return for the Chamber’s donation to their Greenhouse project. Chamber members approved a $300 donation. FFA students will help again this year, and the Chamber will sign off on Community Service hours if needed.
The Chamber’s next meeting will be at noon Tuesday, Sept. 13, at D’Mario’s.