Barbecue without the side of house fire

Clearwater public works employee Jason Biggs converses with officer Justin Jacks during the celebratory barbecue on Saturday, June 12.

Justin Shore thanks those who saved his home from a 2011 fire

By Michelle Leidy-Franklin

CLEARWATER – Clearwater City Council member Justin Shore recently hosted a barbecue in honor of the emergency response personnel who responded to the fire at his residence on April 17, 2011.
“I have spoken for years about wanting to have a barbecue for the fire department to express my appreciation for their efforts. Once I was elected to the Clearwater City Council, I learned how each department supports and contributes to the success of each other,” said Shore. “I decided to expand the barbecue to include all city staff and volunteers to recognize their efforts.”
The fire was believed to have started from a spark off of the electric smoker Shore was using. The spark ignited grass under his deck and spread up the exterior wall of the home into the attic. Shore had been resting while waiting on ribs in the smoker and awoke to the crackling sounds of the unintended fire.
“When it became clear that the fire was too much for me to handle, I called 911 for help. The Clearwater Fire Department and EMS crews responded in short order,” said Shore.

After spending nearly 12 hours smoking pork ribs to perfection, Justin Shore finally got the satisfaction of cutting them up to serve to those who helped save his home in 2011.

Shore’s home sustained significant damage during the fire. The corner of the home that burned was where the service entrance for the electric, telephone, cable, and irrigation all entered the home and required replacement. Ceilings were replaced in the living room, dining room, kitchen, pantries, closets, and utility room.
Though the fire didn’t breach the living space itself, the smoke and water certainly did. Putting the fire out required pulling sheetrock off the ceiling and removing the combustible material.
“My laundry, kitchen, and dining rooms basically had the attic contents dumped on them,” said Shore.
After the fire was extinguished, Shore was unable to continue living in the home. He moved to an apartment in Wichita where he stayed for 6 months while repairs were made.
“Both my house and myself got through it a little worse for the wear, but fixable in the end,” said Shore.
A celebratory barbecue was always a part of the plan to thank those who helped Shore the day of the fire. He chose to mark the 10 year anniversary to express his gratitude. The event was held Saturday, June 12 at the city park pavilion. Shore started smoking ribs at 2 a.m. that morning and had plenty to go around by the time guests arrived. This time, without the melted vinyl siding flavor.