3A State: Cards edge Dragons in 2OTs


By Travis Mounts

If this had been a championship game, the Cheney Cardinals 51-50 double overtime win over the Halstead Dragons girls basketball team would have been legendary.
Instead, the thrilling, stressful win at home on Monday night is just the first step on the way to a larger goal.
With the clock winding down under 40 seconds and Halstead clinging to a 50-48 lead in the second overtime, Cheney’s Kylee Scheer brought the ball up the right side of the court, dribbled across the top of the key to the left, and dished off to Campbell Hague, who made a couple of moves before sinking a jumper from the low post to tie the game at 50 while drawing a foul. She made her free throw to put the Cardinals up 51-50 with 27.6 seconds to play.
The Dragons had two good looks from close in, including a low post shot that went partway into the bucket before rolling out, and a follow-up shot that bounced off the back of the rim. Hague grabbed the rebound after the second attempt as time expired.
There were so many plays where this game could have turned for either team. Cheney had to claw its way back into this game at the end of regulation and in both overtimes.
“You need a play, and suddenly you look up and get them,” said Cheney head coach Rod Scheer. Cheney had to turn to its bench when both Brynn McCormick and Lexi Cline fouled out late.
“Everybody stepped up and did their part,” Scheer said. “Every single one of our players had something to do with it. You survive and advance.”
This game was close from the start and dramatic at the end of regulation and both overtimes. The teams played to an 18-18 tie at halftime. Cheney led by 6 early, following a 3-point basket by Brooklyn Wewe, and trailed by as many as 4 in the second quarter.
The Dragons led for much of the second half, going up by 6 early in the fourth quarter. The Cardinals were still down by 4 points with under a minute to go. After a Cheney timeout, Olivia Albers missed a short jumper off the inbounds pass but followed her shot and got the putback, making it 40-38 with 29.5 seconds to go.
On the ensuing inbounds play, Lexi Cline tipped a long pass near midcourt and Kylie Scheer corralled the ball. She drove to the basket and was fouled. She made both shots to knot the game at 40 with 21.9 seconds to play. Halstead had a pair a chances in the final 12 seconds. The second one came with 1.2 seconds to go, after a traveling call on Cheney coming off a rebound.
This was a game of attrition. The Cardinals’ Brynn McCormick fouled out late in regulation, and Lexi Cline fouled out in the first overtime. Halstead lost its top two scorers to fouls in the second overtime.
With Halstead up 45-42 in the first overtime, Kylie Scheer hit from the lane. A free throw put Halstead up 46-44. Cheney turned again to Scheer, who scored in the low post off a pass from Albers to tie the game with 23.2 left and force the second overtime. Once again, the Dragons had a chance to win on a last-second shot, but a contested attempt missed and Albers grabbed the rebound.
There were struggles in the game for both teams. Scheer had some sage advice for his players.
“I told the kids to throw it in the trash. It’s over,” he said.
The Cardinals (23-0) are the top seed in the final four. They will take on Frontenac (19-3) in the early semifinal, playing at 3 p.m. Thursday at the Hutchinson Sports Arena.
Cheney: Scheer 29, McCormick 6, Hague 5, Wewe 3, Cline 3, Lacy Luehrs 3, Albers 2.